Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Cloverfield Hit

Ok, I promise this is one of the last blog entries on Cloverfield, it's been done to death, but I'm going to try to sum up everything here and now.

I don't know how much money it will make, but I know that it was a hard PG-13 movie and was meant to be a hard R.

“The original draft was much more brutal. I wanted a hard R and we didn’t get a hard R, they read it and said this is way to brutal. I will say that I think we pushed the limits on a PG-13 rating we certainly shot a harder version than what is on the screen, we originally wanted it to be more bloody and disgusting.”
- Drew Goddard, Writer of Cloverfield



That image is a new one up at the original 1-18-08 site. (leave the page up in the background for a surprise)

And last but not least Cloverfield is one of the most searched for terms today! It's got 30 for "Cloverfield", and 34 total if you count "Clover field", "1-18-08", "Slusho", and "Tagruato". (Slusho and Tagruato are both parts of the viral ad campaign to Cloverfield. If you didn't know about it or want to see it all from the start, go here.)

So, if there IS a sequel I will be sure to let you know!

NEW! Box Office info: $41 million. Now that's not even close to any of the Summer Block Busters, but keep in mind that Cloverfield cost 20-30 Million to make (depending on who you talk to), they made their money back already...which is why Cloverfield is more successful than Spidey.

Lets compare really quick.

Spiderman Production cost ~$500 Million. Opening Weekend $150 Million.
Cloverfield Production cost ~$30 Million. Opening weekend $41 Million.

I don't need to say anything else.

No comments: