Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Flight

I’ve been interested in the graphic novels Flight for a little while now, I haven’t bought them because they’re a bit pricy for a college student, but I got volumes 1-4 for Christmas and promptly read them all Christmas day.

These are fantastic. I recommend them for anyone, regardless of if you’re into the Graphic Novel sort of thing (my mom thoroughly enjoyed them and she isn’t exactly “in” with the younger generation). There’s no real underlying theme or style (which I like) and most, if not all, of the art is beautifully drawn. To quote one artist and critic “"it hurts my hands when I look at it".

I love the stories, some have no dialogue what-so-ever but the story couldn’t be told with words, and best of all they make you think. One saga is about a fox like creature and his adventures (and misadventures). Another shows an Egyptian cat and it’s various exploits, along with a mystic fortuneteller reading humorous omens involving the cat. The stories evoke an incredible sense of emotion; in one story about a floating girl I nearly started crying. Then others make you laugh out loud, and some make you think.


Really take a look at this series, Flight Volume 5 comes out July 2008, and I’ll be pre-ordering it.

No comments: